Monday, April 2, 2012

Three-peat

Every now and then I’d like to take a moment and share 3 recent album releases that I’ve been listening to over and over with you all. Typically I will try to keep them of different genres, as to appeal to a wider range of listener, but that’s not always going to work. But hey, I’ll give it a shot, and if there’s a type of music, or new album, that I missed, please don’t hesitate to tell me and maybe I can fill it in later. For now here’s the first Three-peat of 2012.

1.Janus – Nox Aeris (Hard Rock, Alt Rock)

Sometimes that album comes along that’s just super fun to listen to. There is no breaking of the rules, no blaring original-ness, no “next big thing” involved with it all. It’s just good old fashioned rock music. That’s what Janus has done here. They have created an album in the vein of Chevelle and Red that still stands on its own without feeling too copied from their books. Hard rock done right. Catchy choruses, driving riffs, neat atmospheres. (3.5/5)



2.Every Time I Die – Ex Lives (Metalcore, Hardcore)

“I want to be dead with my friends!” Metalcore is a dying genre. The good bands are starting to dwindle away, as the genre creates deeper and deeper holes for itself with every new band trying to emulate their influences work, but never picking the correct paths. Every Time I Die doesn’t give a shit. A band that’s been around the block as much as these guys realize what they have to do to create a good album. And they do it here again. Heavy, angry, and well-written, Ex Lives is the Metalcore album of the year thus far. (4/5)



3.Loma Prieta – I.V. (Screamo, Hardcore)

I was kind of surprised when I took a chance and gave this a listen. Normally not my cup of tea, Loma Prieta is a true Screamo band from San Francisco. Upon first listen, the dissonance of it all, the speed of the guitar, the frantic drumming, and the violent screams underneath come across as pure “noise”. But I couldn’t stop listening. Every single song has a strong underlying melody that holds it all together. It’s abrasiveness is what makes it so gorgeous. (4/5)



As always, follow me on twitter at @calebuseswords and leave any feedback you want. I'm always willing to listen to something new, so if you have something you want me to review, send it my way and I'll give it a shot. Thanks for reading.

-Caleb, the guy who ate a whole wheel of cheese and isn't even mad.

No comments:

Post a Comment